Cops stopping Asians in Brooklyn’s Chinatown has angered residents who complain they are the forgotten victims of the controversial police tactic.
In Sunset Park, parts of Bensonhurst, and Borough Park, 481 Asians were stopped by cops in 2011- a small number compared 685,000 stopped citywide last year.
But Asian residents say the practice happens a lot.
“It is so common,” said David Chang, 32, a used car salesman who lives off of 8th Avenue in Sunset Park. “I was stopped before. In front of my (2-year-old) daughter. They thought I was selling drugs.”
Chang - decked out in a hip-hop style complete with baggy jeans, a black baseball cap, and a dragon tattoo on each side of his neck - said his fashion choices shouldn’t attention from cops.
“It is embarrassing. You do nothing wrong.”
New York Civil Liberties Union breakdown of 2011 NYPD stops showed Asians only made up 3.6 % of police interrogations citywide - with 80 % occurring in precincts across Brooklyn and Queens.
“Police stops undermine the trust between community and police…especially immigrant communiteis that are marginalized and vulnerable,” said NYCLU Executive Director Donna Lieberman.
The top 11 precincts on the NYCLU list were in Queens totaling 13,721 out of the 23,932 Asian police stops. Citywide, more than 685,000 stops were made and 87 % were black or Latino.
Brooklyn’s Chinatown, part of the 66th precinct - ranked 12 on the NYCLU count.
Eighth Ave. cell phone store owner Kevin Guo, 28, said recent immigrants from poorer pockets of the Fujian Province now live in the area and are wary when approached by an officer.
“They don’t like us, they think we are dirty,” said Guo, who grew up in Fujian, and mouthed off to a cop while double parked on 8th Avenue landing him behind bars for four hours.
“Just show us respect. Treat us normal.”
Tensions are so high that Chinese newspaper Sing Tao Daily featured an article last month with tips on how Sunset Park residents can remain calm when talking with cops.
It “is evident that Chinese residents need to understand the laws. In order to protect their rights, they must know how to behave when confronted by the police,” said the report.
About half dozen Asian community groups are teaming up with NYCLU for the Father’s Day march down Fifth Ave. in Manhattan expecting a crowd of 100,000 protesting the police practice by walking in silence.
for anyone who still believes in a mythical “asian privilege”
Asian Privilege still exists, we still exist within the kyriarchy.
AND HOW MANY ASIANS ARE GETTING STOPPED COMPARED TO HOW MANY AFRICAN AMERICANS AND LATINOS
AND HOW MANY ASIANS ARE JAILED IN PROPORTION TO BLACKS AND LATINOS
IT’S ABOUT DEGREE
NO ONE’S SAYING ASIANS DON’T FACE OPPRESSION AT ALL
Not to mention how the Asians being stopped are dressed. I’ve got an idea of who the cops are relating them to…do you? Also if you can’t see the difference between 13,000 & 685,000 or the difference in death rates due to police brutality…yeah.
tagged as: queue.
reblogged from deux-zero-deux
originally posted by bu-liu-xia-deactivated20121217
- asongofsexandsociety aime ce billet
- letheanseraph aime ce billet
- ribcagerebel a reblogué ce billet depuis loungejulius et a ajouté :
- jeriorlizorart aime ce billet
- everythingdiesbutme aime ce billet
- tweetmytwatter aime ce billet
- howtofightloneliness aime ce billet
- uhouse aime ce billet
- whorethroat aime ce billet
- lovethyhippie a reblogué ce billet depuis deux-zero-deux
- amethystlavenderphthaloblue aime ce billet
- hieroglyphical aime ce billet
- newsandtrade aime ce billet
- pluckyduck aime ce billet
- bakethatlinguist aime ce billet
- karigane aime ce billet
- gramireus aime ce billet
- stevelandmawillimorris aime ce billet
- isabelthespy aime ce billet
- optimusofficial aime ce billet
- cloud-scapes aime ce billet
- fresh-ginger aime ce billet
- e-km aime ce billet
- midnightlily aime ce billet
- k--z-n aime ce billet
- crookedglasses aime ce billet
- venomouseloquence aime ce billet
- oohhcomely aime ce billet
- blakyokojones aime ce billet
- algandarsmanor aime ce billet
- ro-s-aspa-rks aime ce billet
- illniggalert aime ce billet
- sqweak a reblogué ce billet depuis purpleone
- yo-yo-yo-ma aime ce billet
- theblackempressmanifesto a reblogué ce billet depuis queennubian